On the 23rd August, the Government announced the details of its Hospital Food Inquiry.
We are delighted to see Phil Shelley, former Hospital Caterers Association Chair, appointed as chair of the review with Prue Leith supporting as an adviser. Phil’s’ experience, unwavering dedication and incredible depth of ‘on-the-ground’ knowledge is perfectly suited to the job and we extend our fullest support to him and his team.
The review sets out to consider:
- how food can help aid faster recovery, taking into account the unique needs of vulnerable groups
- support from national bodies such as the Soil Association and Hospital Caterers Association to source food services locally and reduce reliance on frozen or packaged foods
- new systems to monitor food safety and quality more transparently, including looking at how NHS boards are held to account
- how the NHS can be a standard-bearer for healthier choices for patients, staff and visitors
- more healthy food options for NHS staff, particularly for those working overnight shifts
- sustainability and environmental impact of the whole supply chain
- ensuring quality and value for the taxpayer
For more information please view the full press release here.